Thursday, May 9, 2013

Badges of Honor

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.  Proverbs 31:28


As this Mother's Day approaches, I have been thinking a lot about what it means to be a mother and giving thanks to God for allowing me to be the mother of three precious girls.  I love Proverbs 31:10-31 and that is my ultimate goal as a mother.  However, it is impossible without God helping me along the way.

Once in a while I look at myself and see the "signs" of three pregnancies;  varicose veins, stretch marks, several extra pounds, gray hair, and lines on my face.  However, I never give them much thought; except the veins when they throb or when I get in a bathing suit :).  I am thankful for each bulging vein, every stretch mark, and those extra pounds.  These are signs of carrying my children for nine months; for getting the awesome gift of feeling them move around inside of me.  I am thankful for the gray hairs on my head and the lines on my face from sleep deprivation.  These are all gifts!  Yes, gifts!  Some may think they are ugly (and yes I do too sometimes), but when I look at my left thigh and see the thick, green bulging vein that runs the length of my leg I think of Claire.  I acquired that beauty during my pregnancy with her.  When I see the stretch marks on my belly, I think of Ava.  Those arrived two weeks before she did:)  When I see the line on my forehead, I think of Julianna.  Don't know that she caused it, but I was a good bit older when I had her and it became more pronounced after she got here.  I may get my veins "fixed" one day but for now, I look at all the "badges of honor" and give thanks for them...for being a mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment