Saturday, November 3, 2012

Wildlife Refuge

The 5k we ran today was located at the Wildlife Refuge.  The Wildlife Refuge was so nice and it was such a beautiful day that Kelly and I took this opportunity to take Ava & Claire on a boat ride through the Okefenokee Swamp.  The boat ride was an hour and a half long and it was so interesting.  We saw alligators, sand hill cranes, hawks, turtles, snapdragons, egrets, etc.

Hawk nest



After the boat ride we drove to the old Chesser homestead and looked around.  Wow how things have changed.  The home had a living area, a kitchen, a wash room, and about 5 bedrooms with enough beds to sleep about twelve people.  They also had a corn crib, pump well, cane grinder, chicken coop, and a dirt yard.  It was very interesting to read about this family!
Chesser homestead


As we were leaving I saw what I though was a tire on the side of the road, but it turned about to be an alligator!  It was just a few inches off the road!  I felt like I was on Swamp People:)

No comments:

Post a Comment