Friday, April 20, 2012

Oh, Yes I Did!!!

I have always wanted to be the kind of mother that could do it all as far as home economics goes.  I want to sew, cook everything from scratch, and do everything a mother and wife did back in the 1920s.  Please don't misunderstand...I love the modern conveniences and it's nice to just go buy milk instead of having to milk a cow, but a goal of mine is to learn the "old" way of doing things.  So, I decided to take a step in that direction with Ava's birthday party by making her birthday cake myself from scratch!  Yes, that's right...from SCRATCH!  The cake from scratch, the icing from scratch, everything!  I colored the icing and decorated the cake myself!  Since this was my first attempt, it took me a long, long time, but I was pleased with the results and I learned a few things to make it better next time.  Since Ava was having a slumber party, I made her cake using the slumber party theme.  The cake is a sheet cake and it is decorated to look like eight girls in sleeping bags.  The heads are Nilla wafers and the pillows are marshmallows.  I even tailored the color of the icing for the eyes and hair to match that of the girls!  Ava loved the cake and I think she loved it more because I made it!!  It also tasted yummy so overall I was pleased!  I plan on doing this right on, so wish me luck.  Julianna will be "1" in September and I have already started preparations for her big day!

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. That cake looks amazing! Happy Birthday to Ava!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want more practice pefecting your cake recipe, I'll be glad to "taste-test" any cake for you.

    ReplyDelete