We just returned from Atlanta where Kelly attends meetings for a few days every summer. The girls and I take this opportunity to tag along and do some fun stuff. This year Quincy joined us and got to spend time with Cassie and helped me with the girls on our shopping day. The first day after Kelly got out of his meetings we went to Stone Mountain. The park was such a pretty place with lakes and hills and just a calm serene feeling. There was so much to do at the park. Ava and Claire were so amazed by the size of the mountain (more than 5 miles in circumference at the base) and were itching to ride to the top. Once we got inside the park, we made our way to the cable cars. I am not a fan of heights, but if Kelly and the girls were going to ride it, so was I. It was not as bad as I was anticipating and it was so awesome to see everything from the top of the mountain! We walked around on the top for a while before taking the cable car back down. We definitely got an up close and personal look at the mountain.
Our next stop was a kids' obstacle course. It was a huge area where kids could wear a harnass and go through all types of rope courses high off the ground or smaller kids could go through an obstacle course lower to the ground. There was also a zip line for kids. This is where Ava and Claire immediately wanted to go. They rode this ride many times and had a blast!! They had such a good time in this area and probably would have stayed the rest of the day if we let them. I stopped off at a store to get our family Christmas ornament while Kelly took them on in and by the time I found the entrance, the girls had finished the obstacle course. However, I did get to see them zip line. The next stop was the 3D Yogi Bear movie. While waiting in line, Ava decided Julianna needed 3D glasses, so she proceeded to put her glasses on my stomach! It was so cute!
Next was riding the scenic railway around the mountain. The train ride was so relaxing! Once we got off the train we ate supper and made our way to the grassy lawn in front of the stone carving. The laser light show started at 9:30 and we wanted to get a good spot on the grass. There were so many people on the lawn with blankets, drinks, balls, etc. Music was playing and some people were dancing, playing football, and just relaxing. Ava and Claire danced around for awhile before the show. I really enjoyed the laser light show. It showed the professional sports of Georgia, Georiga musicians, and it paid homage to the Confederate Memorial carving of Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, and Stonewall Jackson. This carving is about the size of three football fields! Wow! At the very end of the show, "God Bless the USA" was played while pictures of the American flag and famous, beloved leaders of the USA were shown.
We left after the slide show and finally made it back to the hotel a little before 11:00 pm. It was a long day, but a fun day! Julianna and I definitely got a work out that day!!
Well, those 3D glasses will never be used again.
ReplyDelete