Thursday, February 27, 2014

dentist

I call this picture The Calm Before the Storm.  See this sweet face?  Faker! :)  I snapped this picture right before she went ballistic!  Julianna had her first dentist appointment today and it was terrible.  Kelly and I had noticed a dark spot on one of her bottom teeth a while back but dismissed it as stain from our deep well water.  However, it kept getting darker so I decided to make an appointment and get it checked.

I spent several days before the appointment talking about how fun the dentist was and how big girls get a prize after their cleaning in the hopes of us having a successful first trip to the dentist.  Didn't happen!  Julianna was not having any of this dentist mess and she let everyone in the office know it!  I had to lay in the chair with her on top of me so that Crystal could clean her teeth.  She cried the whole time and I was so embarrassed.  However, when Dr. L came in to see her she cranked it up to a whole new level of screaming.  She does not like men she doesn't know and she latched on to me like a leech.  I finally got her to calm down long enough for him to check and confirm that yes it was a cavity!  I was so upset by this because Kelly and I are diligent about brushing her teeth morning and night.  We do not let her have lots of sweets and have never let her have a bottle or sippy cup of anything but water at night.  Sensing my concern, Dr. L said that it was probably a pit or weak spot on her tooth because she only had one cavity.  He said if there was a major problem she would have cavities in more than one place.  We were referred to a pediatric dentist in another town to have it filled so it looks like we have more dentist fun ahead of us, yay (sarcasm)!

On a lighter note, the patient in the room next to us was very kind and even shared a similar story of when his daughter was small.  He talked to Julianna a little about not being afraid and not crying to which Julianna replied, "I didn't cry.  I was brave."  We all had a good laugh at that.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand. Zachary and MacKenzie have survived 18+ and almost 16 years without a single cavity (knock on wood!), but Benjamin had had several before age 8...nothing different between their brushing techniques. At least twice when he had his filled, he had to have an oral sedative to calm him down enough for the dentist to fill them. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete