Monday, April 8, 2013

Two Special Boys

Today was the opening day of blastball, t-ball, softball, and baseball at our local recreation department.  Before the first game was played there was a special dedication of the newest four blastball and t-ball fields.  Coach Mo, a long time educator and athletic director, had the four field complex named after her for all her works with youth and athletics.  I can say from first hand experience that she is very deserving of this award.  When I was younger she coached me in softball and basketball and is now a co-worker of mine.



In addition, the four fields were named in memory of four very special people in our community.  Randy Bass was the recreation director for a short time before losing his fight with cancer.  

Peyton Sweat was a youth who was tragically killed in a four wheeler accident.  

The next two boys are particularly special to me:  Holt Rowland and Layne Dixon.

The Holt Rowland field was named after a very special young man who died in a car accident in 2010.  I taught this precious boy when he was in the seventh grade and oh how I love him!  He was a committed Christian athlete who was genuinely kind to everyone he came in contact with.

The last field was dedicated to Layne Dixon.  He was also in the car with Holt Rowland the night of the accident.  I also had the pleasure of teaching him.  He was such a humble, sweet boy who worked hard and loved the outdoors.  

Both of these boys were stellar athletes.  Families of the four individuals were on hand at the dedication.  The descriptions of each person is permanently erected on the complex sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment